Being an SSP Mentor is a wonderful learning experience for both the student and the mentor.
Every year the Student Sponsorship Programme (SSP) recruits committed individuals to serve as mentors for our students. Since our mentorship programme is one of the most valuable resources that SSP offers to its students, we are looking for persons who have an interest and desire to help develop our students to become future leaders of South Africa.
SSP matches mentors with students taking into consideration location of both parties, interests, hobbies as well as skills mentors hold that could enhance the mentee’s identified strengths.
A Mentor must:
- Be passionate about engaging with youth
- Attend one two hour orientation (evening or weekend)
- Meet your student and his/her family at the Open Day (evening or weekend)
- See your student a minimum of 4 times per year
- Commit to mentoring for the full five years of secondary school
- Provide feedback to SSP regarding your relationship with your mentee.
Building a successful mentoring relationship takes on the following characteristics:
- Partnership: Both the mentor and mentee must be equally involved in the partnership
- Mutuality: Both mentors and mentees can learn something from the relationship
- Relationship: It is important to establish and maintain trust, follow through on commitments, and engage in authentic and honest conversations.
- Learning: Engaging in active learning results in deepened perspectives, deepened self-knowledge and deepened self-understanding
- Collaboration: Share knowledge, build consensus and practice open communication and openness to new ideas and perspectives.
- Development: mentors aid in mentees in achieving academic success, addressing personal challenges, and exposure to the professional work world.
HOW SSP HELPS YOU TO FOSTER A SUCCESSFUL MENTORING RELATIONSHIP:
We support you every step of the way, including the following activities and resources:
- Orientation on how to be a good mentor
- Four organized group mentor/student events per year; these events are designed to facilitate relationship building between mentor and mentee. (Participation in these events is not required)
- SSP staff are always available to answer your questions
If you wish to become a mentor, or have any questions, please contact Taulani at :
Taulani.email@example.com / 010 206 0022
Download Mentor Application Form